Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Very different.


When I'd finished it, I had to go back and reread the beginning to see, "How did it happen?  Who did that?"  I'd read this in November of 2006, rated it an 11 on a 1-10 scale, so there was no doubt it was GREAT.  Then I see it mentioned so much lately and I couldn't remember one detail about it.  NOT ONE.  An 11!  Argh.  When you read 2-3 books a week I guess there are other plots in the way of the memory line to a particular one.  So, I read it again.  An 11 again.  I've reread maybe 5 books on purpose,  out of the 1850+ on my list.  Glad this was one of them.  Even the guys should read it.  Be prepared for flashbacks. What insight into nursing home residents' minds.  I don't want to go there...a nursing home.  Not that the main character was mistreated.  I agree with him about the food, rules and regulations.  But the circus is the most important part of the story.  Depression era life on the rails with hundreds of people and animals.  The story is centered on the experiences of a young veterinarian, who after a life changing event, hops the rails and finds himself in the midst of a circus train.  First night 'welcome aboard' was not good.   But they needed an animal doctor even if he wasn't quite finished with school boards.  Of course there is a love interest.  Some circus characters are so carefully helpful and others are so obnoxious and down right cruel.  There are such discrepancies in treatment and pay.  Such a definite hierarchy amongst everyone.  The twists and turns of character development is great.  The 1930's setting is informative.  How did folks get through it?  Many didn't.  You'll love the elephant.  Turn off the computer and read this book. 


2 comments:

  1. Love Water for Elephants also. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your review of the book! I should read it. I did see the somewhat recent movie made from the book. It was quite good....very colorful! Have you seen it? You could decide how true to the book it really was!! LO

    ReplyDelete