Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Secret Lives of the Four Wives, by Lola Shoneyin

The Secret Lives of the Four Wives by Lola Shoneyin.  This unusual novel takes place in Nigeria, with its totally different culture and way of living that is out of my comfort zone.  When a fourth wife joins the family one is led to believe her university level education will be the major cause for strife, distrust and jealousy. But, there is a secret that all the wives keep and the new wife threatens.  Their subservience to their husband, whom I didn't like, is unimaginable.  I didn’t like the way the wives treated each other.  Which is why it this novel put me on edge and why I liked it.  So many unspoken words and words spoken that have hidden innuendos.  What will it take for the flimsy family empire to collapse?  Get out of your reading rut and try this one.  8 out of 10 with a haunting higher rating for messing with your brain.  Read it, you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment