Thursday, March 15, 2012

Harvesting the Heart, by Jodi Picoult

The title baffles me. I know, it's related to the main guy, but I expected a literal heart transplant every minute and wondered who would bite the dust.  I wanted to cry out to the main character,  "TALK to this man."  Perhaps that is what kept me reading, the characters just left the thoughts unspoken.  Left their conversations hanging.  A talker like me would never do that.  Again, Picoult has labeled chapters by the characters' names, but I'd lose track and wonder who's turn it was because the plot was so intertwined.  The flashback attack lost me and the beginning of it didn't seem to fall in line with the ending;  idea wise, yes,  but event wise, no.  Climbing a tree to look in the window? Overboard idea. But it does illustrate the main character's desperation.  The artwork idea grabbed my attention but is hard to imagine.  Wish the cover had a picture illustrating that idea along with the two hands pictured.  The ending?  Am I blind or is it up to the reader? Is she going to let herself be stuck as an appendage to his life's trip?  On my scale of 1-10, an 8 with flashes of 9.  Maybe I need a rest from this author, though...with intentions of resuming reserving more of her books at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment