Thursday, July 24, 2014

New Dryer Means More Work First, by Connie Patridge

New Dryer Means More Work First


    New clothes dryer installed, old one out.  Don did a lot of work getting that tiny laundry room cleared of years of "stuff."  The floor space had been compromised for years as "where should we put it stuff" lined the walls, 2 or three items deep.  Cleaned, vacuumed, dusted, carpet spots cleaned. When It was time to bring "stuff" back to put it away I wanted less! So we started clearing shelves and cleaning cupboards.  I'm sure it hadn't been thoroughly done for the 24+ years we've been here.  Oldest "find" was a spray can of Fuller Brush furniture polish, purchased when I sold those products door to door the summer of 1966.  Figured I hadn't used it in the last few decades, so from the second step up of my step stool I tossed it towards the wastebasket about 3 feet from me.  Score.  But, the edge of the bottom if the can gouged a divot in the wall and the lid went I know not where, as Don found it later and tossed it.  Makes the place more lived it don't you think?  Gouges in the walls.  There were so many spray bottles and cans of all kinds of cleaners stashed in there.  Five, yes five, spray cans of static guard!  If it is where I can't see it, I must need another can!  Haven't used any of them in years, either!  Some stuff pitched, some Don took to that bottomless pit under the house that probably has more 47 year old stuff!, some to the garage to freeze over the winter!  Now there are a couple shelves 1/2 full!  Floor space all over!  I'm sure there is a lot more "stuff" waiting their turn to line the walls, but not today.  Did get to wash and dry a load of towels and the buzzer could be heard way across the house and into the office/computer room to let me know it was time to take a screen break!

No comments:

Post a Comment