Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

The Light Between Oceans, by M. L. Stedman. My tears have not dried as I write this review.  One of the most moving stories to touch my heart has not come along in...ever.  In the early 1920’s Tom has managed to survive terrible times in WW I and is now the lighthouse keeper off the west coast of Australia, where the two oceans meet.  On an infrequent visit to the mainland, he meets Isabel, full of life and joy, who makes sure she marries a quiet Tom, full of solitude like the small island where the lighthouse stands.  They spend months alone out there with a boat bringing supplies only every three months and shore leaves even less often.  No phone, no contact, but a sweet life none the less.  But after three lost babies Isabel is desolate and Tom can’t find a way to help her.  Then a row boat appears out of no where and a baby’s cry brings them to the water’s edge.  In that row boat is a dead young man and safely tucked into the bow, a bundled crying baby.  Thus begins the deceit.  But also joy.  And then the most sadness.  A loving marriage, for better or for worse.   Read it, read it.  I can’t bear to give any more away.  Up until the last few pages I couldn’t fathom how the author would weave an ending to this story of love.  And then I cried, had to put it down, only to return and read another page or two before crying again.  So beautiful an ending.  So sad.  I cry again to write about it.  12 out of 10.  I have to get some more tissues.


No comments:

Post a Comment