Friday, June 8, 2012

Dilemma, by Father Albert Cutie. Glad I read it. Reinforces some questions I've had.


A dedicated priest, already struggling with problems he sees in his beloved church and in his life, marries and leaves the Catholic church.  He makes valid points; has valid concerns.  Celibacy is a big part of his problem. Take that out of the mix and read this book to learn about other issues.  Before that dilemma came into the forefront,  church hierarchy's dealings, problem sex lives at all levels of power in the Catholic network, intrigue, hard-headed dealings, and a church not meeting the needs of its priests or its people add up to even greater problems in his walk through a life dedicated to being a priest who wanted to serve and help.  As I read, I marked parts that touched me, with post-its.  As I review them I see thoughts he shares often actually help me with my trek of faith.  These have nothing to do with THE dilemma, but help with my understanding of my relationship with God and developing faith.  Fervent, unquestioning Catholics aren't going to like this.  Those who have some concerns may find a way to balance those concerns with blind faith.  A 7 out of 10 for grabbing my interest and keeping me going.  A 9 out of 10 for controversy.  A 10 out of 10 for the "that's what I thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment